GENERAL SUPPORT STAFF AND GUIDE’S ASSISTANT
From $18.50 per hour
Can you help fill in gaps, working on a variety of small jobs and also assisting our Nature Guide on overnight trips.
We are seeking genuine expressions of interest for the role of Support Staff and Guide’s Assistant for our small tourism business in Stewart Island. Starting in October 2018 to April / early May 2019.
Stewart Island is a semi-remote location with a daily flight and ferry service and a number of amenities / facilities. There are about 400 permanent residents and over 35,000 visitors a year.
This is a fabulous opportunity for the right candidate, with a genuine interest in the outdoors, to experience a beautiful location, develop new skills and meet some interesting customers from around the world. We require a special person who cares about our small business, is hardworking, and a team player.
The successful person will work at our office and also in the outdoors.
Our ideal candidate is / has:
- Mature, responsible, honest and trustworthy,
- Helpful, flexible with a positive can-do attitude
- Friendly and outgoing
- A good fit for a small, professional working environment
- Good organisational skills, ability to multi-task
- Excellent written and spoken English
- Physically strong and fit and able to hike
- Able to cook well
- Willing to bring additional skills to the business
- Good personal presentation
- Assisting our Nature Guide:
- Prepare for overnight trips
- Carry gear to and from boat and transfer gear to and from huts
- Prepare, cook and serving meals and snacks
- Cleaning / packing / storing gear and equipment
- Walk with clients if required (including carrying some gear)
- Entertaining clients
Assisting our Skipper
- Loading and unloading gear
General support work
- Distributing brochures, informing visitors of our tours and services
- Cleaning vehicles / office area / hire gear
- Possible painting work
- Any other reasonable tasks.
This is a new role and we are testing the ground! If you have additional skills which could be useful to us (e.g. carpentry, painting), let us know.
Employment Period and Hours of Work
- October to April / Mid-May 2019
- Working hours will vary from minimum 20 hours to 40+ hours a week.
Apply only if you:
- Meet our criteria
- Willing and able to attend a formal face to face interview in Stewart Island.
- Are in New Zealand or planning to visit and hold or will hold a valid NZ work visa
- Hold a current first aid certificate
- Hold a clean driver’s licence (if possible an NZ driver’s licence with a p-endorsement)
- Have no commitments that require extended leave during the period October to April / May.
If you require further information or wish to apply, contact us. Due to limited resources we can respond to suitable candidates. Vacancy will close once a suitable candidate is found.