A unique opportunity helping our Nature Guide on overnight guided walks and helping to fill in gaps working on a variety of small jobs. This role will appeal to anyone who enjoys nature and life away from the busy tourist centres, likes hiking and able to cook.
We are a local, independent tourist business, operating since 2000.
Could you be the right person to join a growing team as our Guide’s Assistant / Support Staff person. Are you interested in experiencing new places, seeing wildlife and developing new skills.
You will need to be a quick learner, with attention to detail, energetic, enthusiastic, friendly and outgoing. A commitment for the full season is essential.
This is a fabulous opportunity for the right candidate, with a genuine interest in the outdoors, to experience a beautiful location, develop new skills and meet some interesting customers from around the world. We require a special person who cares about our small business, is hardworking, and a team player.
The successful person will work at our office and also in the outdoors.
Our ideal candidate is / has:
- Helpful, flexible with a positive can-do attitude
- Honest and trustworthy
- Good written and spoken English
- Physically fit with some hiking experience
- Able to cook well and efficiently
- Good personal presentation
Assisting our Nature Guide:
- Prepare for overnight trips
- Carry gear to and from boat and transfer gear to and from huts
- Help prepare, cook and serve meals and snacks
- Cleaning / packing / storing gear and equipment
- Walk with clients if required (including carrying some gear)
- Helping entertain clients.
Assisting our Skipper
- Loading and unloading gear
- General support work
- Distributing brochures, informing visitors of our tours and services
- Cleaning vehicles / office area / hire gear
- Any other reasonable tasks.
- If you have additional skills which could be useful to us let us know.
Employment Period and Hours of Work
- Immediate start to May 2019
- Working hours will vary from minimum 30 hours to 40+ hours a week.
Apply if you are genuinely interested and able to commit:
- Meet our criteria
- Are in New Zealand or due to arrive soon
- Eligible to work in NZ
- Able to have a skype interview and willing / able to attend an interview in Stewart Island
- Hold a clean driver’s licence (if possible an NZ driver’s licence with a passenger endorsement)
- Have first aid or willing to obtain
- Have no commitments that require extended leave during our key tourism operating period.
Due to limited resources we can only respond to suitable candidates.