We are trying to re-develop guided sea kayaking options to compliment our core business of nature guiding, birdwatching and boat cruises.
Stewart Island offers a stunning location for sea kayaking around Halfmoon Bay and within Paterson Inlet. We are seeking a resourceful and flexible person with the right attitude to work in our small business and within the scope of our dynamic weather environment to guide half day, full day and evening kayaking trips in suitable weather.
Applicants must be:
- Fully qualified sea kayak guides with an NZ certification or endorsement
- Hold a VHF Radio Operators Certificate or willing to obtain
- Hold a current First Aid Certificate for the duration of the contract
- Have at least 1 – 2 years sea kayak guiding experience (cold water)
- Flexible and willing to take on non-kayaking jobs if weather and business circumstances require.
Preference will be given to applicants who can commit for a minimum 2 to 3 seasons to allow them to build up their expertise and knowledge, and more importantly meet our customer needs and help the business move forward.
Required from early October 2018 for training and working through to April / early May 2019, with additional seasons for the right person.
Stewart Island is a semi-remote location with a daily flight and ferry service and a number of amenities / facilities. There are about 400 permanent residents and over 35,000 visitors a year.
This is a fabulous opportunity for the right candidate, with a genuine interest in the outdoors, to experience a beautiful location. We want staff who care about our small business and our customers, are hardworking, and team players.
Our ideal candidate is / has:
- A good fit for a small, professional working environment
- Flexible and able to assist on day or overnight hikes and if needed
- Has some hiking experience
- Mature, responsible, honest and trustworthy
- Friendly and outgoing with strong customer service skills
- Good leadership and organisation skills
- Excellent communication skills, written and spoken English
- Strong safety ethics
- Physically strong, healthy and fit.
- Good personal presentation
- Plan and prepare for trips
- Brief clients / answer questions
- Guiding clients and provide assistance as required
- Providing quality information and experiences
- Entertain clients
- Prepare and serve meals
- Cleaning and storing gear
- Maintaining timely and accurate records of trips and other administrative needs
Other Possible Work
- Driver Guide on Scenic Road Tours
- Drive clients and provide quality information
- Promote and distribute our brochures
- Cleaning and gardening
- Carry out any other reasonable tasks helpful to the business
Employment Period and Hours of Work
- October to April / Mid-May 2019
- Working hours will vary from minimum 30 hours to 40+ hours a week.
Apply only if you:
- Meet our criteria and are genuinely flexible
- Willing and able to attend a formal face to face interview in Stewart Island
- Are in New Zealand or planning to visit and hold or will hold a valid NZ work visa
- Hold a clean driver’s licence (if possible an NZ driver’s licence with a p-endorsement)
- Have no commitments that require extended leave during the period October to April / May.
If you require further information or wish to apply, contact us. Due to limited resources we can only respond to suitable candidates. Vacancy will close once a suitable candidate is found.