Wanted: Superstar Tour Leaders for Multi-day Fully-Supported Cycle Trail Tours
Not a Rail Trail is New Zealand’s premier cycle tour company. We run small group, all-inclusive cycle tours on the best of NZ’s Great Rides – the Alps to Ocean, Around the Mountains, Roxburgh Gorge/Clutha Gold and West Coast Wilderness trails. We are looking for friendly, experienced and responsible Tour Leaders to join our team this summer season. Trips commence at the end of October and run through until the end of April, with training provided from mid-October. We have full-time and part-time positions available and can be flexible with how much you want to work.
From start to finish, we will treat you with respect and as a friend. You don’t need to be based in Queenstown, where most of our tours start and finish. If you’re the right fit for our team and our guests, we’ll be flexible and work with you to get you to and from your scheduled tours. If you love taking people on a journey, helping them have an amazing experience in the outdoors, and can tell a good story, then we want to hear from you! We want to show our Manuhiri (guests) a top class, authentic experience, so they love our Great Rides as much as we do!
The role of Tour Leader is largely based on the road, driving a van with up to 11 passengers and their luggage, towing a trailer loaded with mountain bikes and equipment. You will drive clients to and from the trails and provide vehicle support while they are out riding. Certain days will include riding with the clients but our trips are predominantly self-guided. You will help the clients with bikes and equipment, brief them on the rides, set up drink stops and picnics at key points along the trail, and take them to cafés, restaurants, accommodation and certain pre-booked activities (hot pools, jet boats, helicopter transfers etc). Along the way, you will share your knowledge and history of the people and places you visit. Most importantly, you are responsible for our clients’ safety and comfort, throughout the tour.
The nature of the role guarantees no day will ever be the same. The scenery is stunning and constantly changing, much like the weather. Every day will present something new and challenging. But you will be prepared! We have an excellent team to support you at every leg of your journey. We have the networks and experience to help you solve problems and deal with issues quickly and efficiently. Our tours are mostly 6 to 7 days in length, with some 1 to 2 day support roles available, so we can fit in with your work/life balance. Trips commence 28 October 2019 and run through until the end of April 2020 with full-training provided from mid October.
We recognise that to get the best people we need to be the best employer. We are offering competitive terms, training and support and a flexible approach to managing your work/life balance. We are outdoors people at heart and want you to love your work as much as we do. There will be plenty of challenges and opportunities for you to develop and grow. You will need a wide range of skills, a can-do attitude and a desire to go the extra mile!
1. Customer Service and People Skills
* Our goal is to exceed our clients’ expectations. We plan for this, train for this and you will be expected to deliver this.
* You must love working with people – helping them to enjoy themselves, stay safe and look after their requirements. The role is about identifying and predicting our guests’ needs and fulfilling them in a friendly, calm and patient manner.
* The ability to share stories and background about the people, places and landscape is important, so that the experience comes to life for our clients.
* A significant part of the customer experience depends on the group social dynamics. On most of our tours, the clients don’t know each other. You must be able to help the group gel and occasionally deal with personality clashes, if they arise.
* The majority of the time you will eat with the clients at the accommodation, cafés or restaurants. However in one or two remote locations, we use caterers to provide food and drinks. At these times you will be responsible for serving food and this may involve some clean-up. You must have high food presentation skills and hygiene standards. Training will be provided.
2. Driving and Equipment:
* You must have a Passenger Endorsement licence and preferably some experience driving passenger vehicles with a trailer attached.
* Our trips cover Aoraki/Mount Cook, Mackenzie country, Waitaki valley, the West Coast, Wanaka, Southland and the Clutha valley. Some familiarity or local knowledge of these areas is helpful but not essential.
Tours cover a variety of road surfaces in all weather conditions. You will be responsible for keeping passengers comfortable and safe, keeping to a schedule, and most importantly, driving safely, professionally and defensively at all times. This is fundamental.
* You will be driving a 12-seater van with up to 11 passengers, towing a trailer loaded with mountain bikes, luggage and equipment. The role involves loading and unloading the vehicle and trailer, sometimes several times a day. You must be able to drive, park and manoeuvre the van so as not to damage the equipment or the clients!
Please note, we strongly encourage both men and women to apply – we will provide training on loading the equipment. You do not need to be super strong or able to lift heavy loads.
* Once or twice a week you must have the ability to ride 40-50km of easy terrain, relatively comfortably. Your role will be “Tail-end Charlie” (you are not guiding). You do not have to be fast or super fit, just competent and confident on a mountain bike. The bike and safety gear will be provided.
* Basic familiarity with mountain bikes (types, styles and parts) and bike maintenance is useful but not essential. Training will be provided.
4. Decision Making
* You’ll be looking after up to 10 riders (usually 40-75 years old, min age 15) in some remote back-country areas, with changeable New Zealand weather, for up to 7 days in a row. Anything can, and often does, happen. There will be surprises and things will go wrong, guaranteed. You must be confident and responsible enough to make decisions that consider the needs and safety of your group.
* You are not expected to deal with anything you’re not comfortable making a decision about. But you must be able to recognise when you need assistance and communicate. There is always someone back at base to help discuss problems with, whenever required.
Great Outdoors NZ Limited (trading as Not A Rail Trail and A2O Cycle Tours) is a small, fast growing and innovative Kiwi-owned and operated tourism company with exciting plans for the future (potentially expanding overseas soon). With over 10 years’ experience in the industry, we are committed to providing exceptional service and quality to ensure the best possible experience for our customers.
Keeping our groups small allows us to provide a personal level of service and make lasting friendships with our guests. We stay at picturesque, boutique accommodation run by genuine, friendly locals with a flair for hospitality. We accept nothing less than exceptional quality food and go out of our way to find the best places for our customers. We only stock top quality bikes and equipment and ensure our clients know how to use them properly.
We are a team of fun, outgoing, professionals who will provide you with the support and training you need to be one of our star Tour Leaders, with magical abilities to take our clients on the journey of a lifetime. Check out what our clients have said about us in their feedback:
How to Apply:
If this all sounds like you, please visit: www.notarailtrail.co.nz/recruitment
Send us your CV together with references and a cover letter telling us a bit about yourself. If short listed, you will be asked to attend a driver assessment with AA New Zealand (at our expense). Applications close 7 September 2019. If you have any questions or wish to discuss the role, please call 0800 4CYCLE (429253) or email email@example.com.
We look forward to working with you!
About Great Outdoors NZ Limited
We are a small, fast growing and innovative Kiwi-owned and operated tourism company with exciting plans for the future (potentially expanding overseas soon). With over 10 years’ experience in the industry, we are committed to providing exceptional service and quality to ensure the best possible experience for our customers. Check out what our clients have said about us in their feedback: www.notarailtrail.co.nz/not-a-rail-trail-cycle-tours-customer-reviews