A fabulous opportunity for a nature orientated person to come and work in a small, customer focussed team in beautiful Stewart Island, away from the busy tourist centres.
We are a local, independent tourist business, operating since 2000.
Could you be the right person to join a growing team as our Trainee Nature and Birdwatching Guide. Are you interested in developing new skills and interacting with interesting people from around the world?
You will need to be a hardworking, quick learner, with attention to detail, energetic, enthusiastic, friendly and outgoing. You will need to be able to handle responsbility. A commitment for the full season and if there is a good mutual match for 2 seasons would be considered.
Our ideal candidate is / has:
- Birdwatching skills and a good understanding of native New Zealand birds and plants and a willingness to learn about our natural environment and cultural history
- Flexibility as we are a small business and our trips are based on customer demand
- Tertiary qualification in an appropriate outdoors field e.g. geography, zoology, biology
- Hiking experience. Any guiding experience is an advantage.
- Mature, responsible, honest and trustworthy
- Good leadership and organisation skills
- Excellent communication skills, written and spoken English
- Health, fit and strong
- Good cooking and food presentation skills
- Good personal presentation
Assist in Guiding Trips
- Help prepare for trips
- Attending trip briefings
- Assist in guiding clients and provide assistance as required
- Assist in providing quality information and experiences
- Entertain clients
- Load and unload boat and transfer gear to / from huts
- Help prepare and serve meals / snacks
- Cleaning / packing
Driver Guide on Scenic Road Tours
(This will be subject to an NZ driver’s licence and passenger endorsement).
- Drive clients and provide quality information
- Entertain clients
- Maintaining timely and accurate records of trips and other administrative needs
- Carry out any other reasonable tasks helpful to the business.
Employment Period and Hours of Work
- Immediate start to April 2020
- Working hours will vary from minimum 30 hours to 40+ hours a week.
Apply if you are genuinely interested and able to commit:
- Meet our criteria
- Are in New Zealand or due to arrive soon and planning to be at least in the South Island
- Eligible to work in NZ
- Able to have a skype interview and willing / able to attend an interview in Stewart Island or mutually convenient location
- Hold a clean driver’s licence
- Have a current first aid certificate or willing to obtain
- Have no commitments that require extended leave during our key tourism operating period.
Due to limited resources we can only respond to suitable candidates. Your CV should show how your skills and experience match our criteria. Genuine applicants only need to apply.